Re: Vinga & Saird (was Runic Associations)

From: hsmith_at_...
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:27:15 -0000

A long while since I've added any comments on Glorantha, but this subject caught my eye.

David Dunham <david_at_a...> wrote:
> Vinga is the daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda. I'm sure this is the
> origin of her square rune. (I'm not sure about the usage of the
> "Lodril" rune, if that's a coincidence, intentional since she was a
> spark in the Darkness, or a mistake for her square rune.)
>
> And yes, like all but 10 things in Glorantha, Vinga may well come
from Saird.

I believe that David is correct that Vinga is the daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda and possibly sister of Vingkot, but not daughter. Vinga is a goddess where Vingkot's children are mortals.

Peter Metcalfe:
>Leaving aside the typo nature, Vinga's origins are more likely to
come from Saird (cf the description of the mysteries of the Red Woman being the basis of the Queenship of Holay p129).

Vinga, like Vingkot, did enter/exist in greater Saird (specifically the Holayan region that was once the center of the Berenethtelli tribe--the tribe following Vingkot's daughter Redalyde and her husband Beren the Rider) during the Storm Age. She, like Redalyde, both learned/incarnated aspects of the Red Woman of Saird (an older Green Age figure). Others have done so as well--Holaya did so late in the 2nd Age in the period of Verenmars when she established the Queendom of Holay; all the Queens of Holay do so to some extent; and the Conquering Daughter may have done so when she conquered Saird and Holay. Inkarne will do so in the Hero Wars.

Harald Smith