Re: Clan Sizes

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:56:37 -0000

John Hughes wrote:

> There has been incredible confusion in previous discussions from
such mixing
> of concepts.

And we don't want to start that again do we :-)

 Families make up a bloodline, which is a conceptual exogamous
> kinship and legal unit.

Your bloodline pay weregeld for acts of mansalughter you commit (along with you) and recieve weregeld if you are killed, are in line for inheritance and you inherit from them, can be legitimate targets in a feud involving any other member of the bloodline, are supposed to care for you if you become destitute etc.

 A bloodline may organise itself into hearths, and
> several hearths comprise a stead. However, a bloodline may share a
stead and
> even a hearth with other bloodlines, esp. if the stead is rich
enough to
> hire labourers.

A stead is an economic unit. It may be cooperative in that several people pool capital resources (e.g oxen for a plough team)- and it may also a user of labour. Resource sharing is probably more common within a bloodline (though it could happen across), but labour might come from any bloodine (the Orlanthi year-marriage may be an labour relationship more that a romatic one).

> Several bloodlines
> comprise a clan, typically defined by claimed (but not necessarily
known)
> links of descent from a founder, or group of founders.

Some clans may also include thralls (feedmen) and adoptees.