RE: Sartar vs. the Empire

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:26:14 +0100

>Currently I'm browsing through ILH-1 and Moonrites to get an
>initial handle on the Lunars and I have to say this map-scale thing
>was something that jumped out at me on my first pass.

The maps are wrong. The text states that Mirin's Cross to Glamour is a 3 day journey for a rider that can do 350 miles a day. The map shows the same distance at about 300 miles. Change the scale by a factor of 3, and everything works much better. And fits with the sizes Greg quoted me when we discussed this in private a while back.

>If you scale the maps up then really you need to scale the population
>figures up by the square of your multiplication factor to keep
>population densities the same. Going with a scaling factor of 4 gives
>you an Imperial census of 160 million (analogous to the Roman Empire)

I wouldn't fiddle the population figures at all. 10 million in a country that size is perhaps a little low, but there have been several big wars fairly recently, and much of the Lunar Empire is pretty uninhabitable hills, mountains, forest, wasteland, etc. 160 million is far too high.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson