New Directions for Glorantha

From: Pete McAveney <mcaveney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:13:22 -0400

No, unfortunately it doesn't. The online world has evolved from open source MUDs to proprietary money-makers like Everquest. Neverwinter Nights is a step in the right direction, but isn't really Glorantha-compatible - it can't accomodate the magic. There are two open source MMPORPG projects on the web, but both are years away from being usable (if they ever get it together at all.) I still thing this is an important future direction, though.

During those gaps between girlfriends when I have too much spare time and my sanity begins to fray, I've considered writing a computer game myself - or launch another pet project, a Gloranthan LARP. (I'm talking about boffer weapons, fixed game rules, and an open-ended campaign, so it's a little different from the freeforming / episodic games familiar from conventions.) The northeastern U.S. has a healthy and expanding LARPing community of several thousand people. With a little word of mouth and a mention in a newsletter I could get a few dozen people together for a weekend. If the campaign is good, and we get more word of mouth, we could realistically sustain a campaign of 40-50 players meeting six weekends a year. I've gone as far as picking a rules system and starting cult writeups, though the time commitment necessary to make this happen will preclude either having children or sleeping.

In other words, the best way to bring in new people may be to trick them. Make products which sound like fun without using the G word. Draw them in using another hook and let them discover the glories of the setting for themselves.

> (Another factoid of
> the millennium: most of us seem to read the lists sitting at work drinking
> our wake up coffee).

I've been busy at work, and my reply is a month late. Coincidence?

> Is it time for a Gloranthan short-story magazine? A writers circle?
Another
> 'Heroes of the King/Gloranthan Visions' project?

You're getting warmer.

Pete McAveney