Re: Re: Appearance of Red Moon

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:28:09 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Peter Tracy wrote:

<snip>
> Though I REALLY LOVE Mikko's idea.
>
> Mikko wrote:
> > use as an "explanation" for the moon. Basically the inside of the
> >crater is also the surface of the red moon that can be seen. The inside
> >is both suspended in the middle-air and inside the crater. The apparent
> >contradiction and illusionary reality here seems more apt for the Red
> >Goddess than a trillion tons of actual physical rock levitating above
> >the crater.
>
> Brilliant. I sell these things, and I really like the idea! Very unnatural,
> very chaotic, very lunar... explains why too look inside the crater causes
> madness.

Thank's Peter. I visited a science expo at an impressionable age :) Too bad I couldn't find a better link for it. It's an illusion everybody should see. A great lunar/mostali trick, if nothing else.

I'd like to clarify, that I'm not saying that an illusion is the whole truth. Or rather, an illusion is no simple matter on Glorantha.

But the surface of the moon is in the otherworld, or rather _is_ the Lunar otherworld, so the dual reality of the moon in the sky and the inside of the crater "anchoring it into more permanent reality" just seems so right, at least for me. More so than floating rock, at least.

It doesn't mean the moon isn't also in the sky, and reachable by flying. But propably those looking "down" from the moon don't see the crater. At least not clearly.

        -Adept