Re: Sample deities in ILH1

From: Osentalka_at_...
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:45:56 EDT

Hello Patrick

> *I realize that they are simply samples of deities, and that they
> should not be seen as representative of an area's actual religious
> life. But still, I was a bit surprised that a few of the important,
> dominant deities from GIHW were lacking. Why was Oria, Oslira,
> Entekos, Dendara, and Lodril left out? I thought they were important
> deities with 100.000+ worshippers in the Empire?

I think that these cults are not breeding so many adventurers (hero characters).

> *Once upon a time, pantheons of deities covered more than one
> geographic area. That doesn't seem to be the case any more. Shall I
> take it for granted that every small geographic area of central
> Genertela has it's own pantheon? Thus we get: the Tarsh pantheon, the
> Holay pantheon, the Sylila pantheon, the Dara Happa pantheon, the
> Pelanda pantheon, the Birin pantheon, etc…

In fact we have the Colymar-Pantheon, the Lismelder-Pantheon, the Malani-Pantheon etc.
Every group has it´s own differences in Pantheons.

> *Somehow I have no problem understanding that basic sustenance
> deities are different in every area, but I was a bit surprised to see
> that specialized deities like the trade deity, the scholar deity, and
> the healer deity also changed with every Homeland. Aren't these
> spheres of influence were deities of the Lunar/Dara Happan elite have
> made more progress? I expected to see a lot more mentioning of
> Etyries, Irrippi Ontor, Buserian, Deezola, and Erissa.

Most people are conservative.

> *Maybe it's not of importance in actual gameplay for most people, but
> when I narrate/GM I'm immensely assisted by general figures and
> tables presenting population, structures, etc. I always liked the
> tables in Cults of Prax and Troll Gods, showing cult membership for
> tribes and areas. Is it even possible to produce such tables for the
> Lunar Empire? Maybe it could be put online as a deep source? (For
> Dragon Pass and the Heortlings at least I got some rudimentary
> figures: Orlanth & Ernalda 85%, 14 major cults of Sartar share 14%,
> the rest of the small cults share the last %…)

I agree, that this would be very helpful. But that would became a loooong list. :-)

> *The deities as presented in ILH1 give me the impression that their
> is little difference in "power level" between an apotheosized
> human/deity active since Time began and deities doing their great
> acts in Godtime. (One small example: Kastokus with affinities Command
> Host, Hoozar, Kastokus Combat; Cafoldur the Lancer with affinities
> Cavalry, Combat, Horsecare; and Shargash with affinites Berserker,
> Combat, Destruction seem quite equal to me…) Is this intentional, and
> why? Is the old notion from Runequest times that deities have
> different power levels abandoned?

If you meet this deities they will show you, but in the meantime there will be no difference IMHO.

All only my 2 Cents...

Cheers

André