ILH Deities (Morgan)

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:45:28 -0000

(My first response I think got lost - apologies if two replies eventually appear)

> There is
> still very little about Natha or even Tarnils for example, two
> dieties many adventurers should be expected to follow.

Both of them are given at least basic coverage in HW, though. Anyway, I'm always wary of too much concentration on 'adventurers' deities' - firstly because players tend to be more varied in the wants than might be supposed and secondly because adventurers are by definition marginal types, and by concentrating on them, you end up with a very strange picture of the societies in question. After all, cults are not just there to provide adventurers with kewl powerz, they are windows into the wider concerns, dynamics and mores of the cultures with which they interact.

  Whereas the
> Heortlings clans may have different sub-cults, but, basically, you
> have a ton of info about Orlanth, Vinga, Ernalda etc.
>
> Not saying this is good or bad, but, you can't blame it all on
space
> considerations and "wait till ILH-3". It was a conscious decision
> by the writers to emphasize breadth instead of depth.

Well, there's no point having lots of detail on the cults of the Empire with no idea of just what the Empire is. A book the size of TR or ST has about 90,000 words in it; ILH-1 has a little under 40,000. When we are up to ILH-4/ILH-5, then there is a suitable basis for comparison with the level of exploration of the Orlanthi, and even so, that is comparing the mighty Lunar empire with this minor, local culture down in some backwater...

All the best

Mark