RE: Re: Towns and clans

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:33:41 -0800

All,

>>I think this is too primitive. I think the
>Heortling way recognizes towns
>>as a part of their normal way of life.
>
>At some point, though, do they view that it goes
>too far? I've always
>thought that Heortlings would be uncomfortable with
>Lunar or Western style
>cities.

Yes, absolutely. I agree with John Hughe's post. Basically, when it takes them too far from their clan roots and their religious roots.

>Also, to what extent is city organization modeled
>upon clan organization,
>as opposed to a different model?

Mostly different, basically because a clan cannot really run or control a city, and also because a city has too many foreigners (including non-clan members) to operate without a different system. Hence the professionally-organized guilds and the city council.

>I'm getting a picture of something a bit akin to
>the distinction between
>town and village in colonial America.

There is an organic structure to these things that Mark Leymaster has showed me many times. It holds pretty true for all socieities everywhere, but varies with the carrying capacity of the land. But the essential measures never change: how far a person can walk in a day, how much weight a person can carry and the number of hours that their oxes, mules, horses or mantabask can work.

BTW, I don't have a clue what a matabask is.