Re: Re: Sarotar Keep

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:04:04 -0700

> I was wondering something similar - what does a Heortling hill fort
> look like? I had always envisioned some sort of motte & bailey type
> thing (earth mounds, wood palisade). A broch would work well as the
> tower on the mound.

To me, "hill fort" conjures up celtic oppidae or palisade-and-ditch hill forts like Maiden Castle. Basically, take a nice hill with a good view all around, level the top and use the fill to make a turf wall. Dig a ditch below this wall, and use that soil to make another wall. The largest forst have three ditches and three walls.

RR
- Richelieu