Pavis Ring & Dorasor

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:18:49 +1000

I was interested in Ian's comments on Pavis, as I've recently done an article for Ian Thomson and the Pavis Project on the city ring.

In my vision, Dorasor used his Heortling traditions in founding the Pavis Ring, but he was also a transformer, and he paid equal respect to the ancient and enduring (EWFish) traditions of the city. The new Pavis Ring was a blending of both - based equally on the traditions of Andrin and the city law of the Old City and the Pavis cult, with respect shown to the traditions of the nomads and Sun County. Thus, for example, it has notions of private property and individual responsibility for crime - both foreign to Heortling clan law. As to Ian's suggestions that Sartarite city rings may also have evolved the clan laws into something new, its an intriguing concept that I'm in agreement with, but one that I think needs further exploration.

And yes, what a great city for adventuring - native Pavisites, four waves of Sartarite refugees, animal riders, stodgy Yelmalians, badly-stretched conquerors and new waves of Lunar settlers whose attitude to the Empire is not always what you'd expect. All it needs is a white bull and a vision...

John