Re: Dragon Pass Architecture

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:07:34 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Josh Reynolds wrote:

> >I'd be thinking Mostali and Heortland/Holy Country architecture
> >for the Keep.
> -----------------------------
> So what sort of motifs characterize Mostali or Heortland
> architecture?
>
> I had also noticed the references to re-use of old ruins, and it got
> me wondering how they (the ruins) differ. For example, a Sartarite
> would know they had entered EWF ruins, I presume, but how would they
> know? (Speaking in terms of the architecture only.) Noticeable
> dragonewt influences? (And what the heck does -that- look like?)
>
> Your ideas about palisade forts match mine - that's pretty much what
> a motte & bailey is...
>
> (Sorry about hijacking the Sarotar question, Mikko...)
>
> Josh

 :) It's ok.

I'd like to clarify on the original subject, that I brought up the broch because I think Sarotar Keep is definitely a _tower_, not a hillfort.

But Dragonewt style? They are supposed to be able to shape the earth, and many of the old takes on the subject have shown graceful (and weird!) spires of stone(?) twisting around and reaching for the sky, and narrow spans of rock interconnecting things high above the ground.

The higher up Dragonewts are propably the ones that make the buildings spring up from the dirt and rock underfoot, and I'd think they look like some of the more fantastic creations to come from a potters wheel.

EWF? Stone buildings as shown in the Pavis book. Flat roofs used for dining in nice weather. Tall spires, parhaps open courtyards inside building to let in light and flyers.

Strange runes, jade (very draconic according to the chinise/kralori), propably marble (they vere rich!), tile mosaics. Strange mosaics where colourful stones have flowed like water according to the artists will...

        -Adept