Orlanthi Initiation

From: Mike Gibb <m.gibb_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:46:02 -0000

Im just about to take my players through an initiation ceremony and it has got me thinking about the ceremony itself. Both the Odayla initiation (TOTRM 18) and the Vinga one (as discussed on this list) are based on the myth of how that god reached adulthood. What is the comparable myth for Orlanth? And as all the pcs are 15 year old Heortling lads - which aspect(s) of Orlanth is/are likely to be seen in the ceremony/myth?

Prior write-ups of Orlanthi initiation (eg Apple Lane) have tended to concentrate on the mundane aspects (ie weapon skill) and I want to bring as much of the mythic aspect to bear as soon as poss to bring the players into the world of Glorantha (and all that entails).