Re: Orlanthi Initiation

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:36:39 -0000

Probably. Or maybe Vice Versa, to be accepted into the Cult of Orlanth is to be accepted as an adult by the tribe?

In HW Rules terms the Tribal/Clan Initiation probably gives you your "Worship Storm Tribe" score (and "Relationship to [Clan]"), wheras the Cult initiation will give you "Initiate of [Diety]". Amongst Heortling Orlanthi it is probably rare to find adults who aren't (at least) Initiates, and in many cases the Ceremonies are probably combined

>(I know there is variation of the cults within the tribes). Is there
> a separate way to 'initiate' into the tribe without joining
> Orlanth - leaving the door open to choose your cult later?

I would guess so, since it is possible for Adults to join/be adopted into the tribe after they have committed to a cult, which needn't be Orlanth (though probably should normally be a Storm Tribe deity, or one who has a God Time relationship with Orlanth...)

> the way I saw it was for all the players to be going through the
> general Orlanth initiation and to either be able to select another
> cult later - or to be selected by another deity during this
>initiation!

This is good. Maybe part of the Initiation is the joining together of the Storm Tribe, with Heort, or other suitable ancestor choosing to follow Orlanth. Most initiands follow this lead, although some choose to join the groups gathering around his brothers and chief thanes (and, as you suggest, some are chosen by those other dieties...)