Re: Re: Harvest info

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:32:32 -0400

Stephen Tempest writes:
> "BEThexton" <bethexton_at_...> writes:
>
> >I'm not an expert, but I believe that crop rotation of some
> >degree was practiced by many ancient agriculturists.
>
> My understanding is that early crop rotation involved leaving
> the fields fallow for a year or two. That was certainly the
> classic mediaeval English pattern - three fields: wheat or
> barley in one, peas or beans in another, nothing in the third,
> and rotate the crops around by one each year.

I undestood that some oriental agricultures had fallen across rotations that did not involve fallowing, but I could easily be wrong there. Given their use of soybean, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they'd had a non-fallow rotation involving wheat, barley, and soybeans. (Soybeans are legumes, aren't they?)

--
Viktor