Re: Orlanthi Initiation

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:43:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Johan Lundstrom wrote:

> Quick aside, does anyone have a good idea of how to avoid turning
> Heroquests and initiations into railroads?

I too have been bothered by this. In my opinion, hero-quests fall into four categories :

  1. Normal. You deliberatly enter the hero plane and follow the myth.
  2. Hijacked. You start a normal quest, but a mythic enemy subverts it by heroquesting themselves. The Lunars do this a lot.
  3. Experimental. You are Arkat...
  4. Accidental - you wander onto the Hero Plane through a natural weak spot (puzzle canal, Kero Fin, whatever).

Number 1 is the most prone to the 'railroading' factor, so I've mainly messed with 2 and 4. No one has been stupid enough to try 3 yet.

Having said that, even under normal conditions, there should be at least one surprise per quest. You face YOUR deepest fears, not your god's.

> And by the way, can anyone tell me where I can get hold Heroes of Wisdom?

Andrew Bean had some copies recently, if you don't mind ordering from Australia...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net