Re: Misapplied Worship

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:06:47 EST

Roderick:

<< > But if you try to worship, say, Orlanth, in an animist style, then such a tradition
> already exists (among the Praxians, and/or Pentans IMO) so no penalty.
Whether he's
> 'really' a god or a spirit is nothing to do with it - if the tradition is
already established, I
> wouldn't apply a MW penalty for it.

 I'd amend that to say that you'd have to learn the Pentan or Praxian Tradition, not just say "well, *they* can worship him as a Spirit, so I'll just make something up too". You need to learn the proper method of doing so. >>

      Agreed. That was the point I was trying to make: that what's important is whether you use an established tradition to worship a god/spirit, not what their 'real' nature is. Any form of worship that has been practised by any significant number of people for any length of time is, pretty much by definition IMO, not subject to MW penalties.

>But if you try to worship, say, Orlanth, in an
>animist style, then such a tradition already exists (among the Praxians,
>and/or Pentans IMO) so no penalty.

Peter:

<<Worship of Orlanth among the Praxians does incur a penalty. >>

     Officially, yes, that's absolutely the case. That's why I specifically said that I was only talking about what happens IMG.

Trotsky