Re: Meldek in our midst

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:10:49 +1300

At 19:15 14/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Can annyone think of a cool reason why an Orlanthi clan might keep a Meldek
>sorceror around.

Known sources of sorcery are:

But there is a third option. When writing the Glorantha:Intro, I did a bio of Temertain.

         He was of the Philosophers' faction that sought to incorporate
the      insight of the Sorcerers into their god [Lhankor Mhy] and thus obtain
         the long lost perspective of the Gloranthan Court.  The Philosophers
         were originally one of the many sparring factions of the fractious
         Nochet Knowledge temple but had earned the singular distinction
of      forcing the other factions to unite and expel them for the crime of
         "mendacious tendentiousness".

During Starbrow's revolt, Temertain is persuaded to move to Sartar and he forms the Philosopher's Ring (calling upon the spirit of free philosophy) to protect him and help rule the kingdom. When he's attacked in 1614:

         When Chaos Monsters ambushed Temertain during the Storm Bull rites,
         they slew most of his philosophical brothers but Estal Donge drove
         them off before they could harm her lover.  This attack spelt the
         end of the Philosopher's Ring as the survivors were driven mad by
         their experience and fled into the hills.

In Dragon Pass the boardgame, there is a sartar magical unit known as the Free Philosophers and your annoying PC could be one of them. Since none of this is published, treat it as you would any other net ramblings and salt according to taste.

>One factor that helps is that the clan in question can field the largest
>army of any in Dragon Pass, and the character has a mastery in "Military
>Genius".

How does a sorcerer get "Military Genius"?

--Peter Metcalfe