Re: Mythic Background

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:32:54 -0700

> Therefore this time round I'm sorting out the mythic background to my
> setting, in the same vigourous way that I sorted out historical and
> political background when I wrote up the setting for RQ.
>
> So far I have the following broad categories,
>
> Sacred Landscape-why the land is the way it is.
>
> Origin of the gods-a whos who and how they got to hold their current
> posistion.
>
> Cultural Myths-why we do things the way we do.
>
> Gods war myths-tales of chaos and strife, and triumph over adversity
> (or not).
>
> Any other categories that I've missed out?

Our Enemies - why they are the way they are, how Our God beat up Their God (or vice versa).

Be sure to include important animals in the Sacred landscape - Why do we herd Sheep instead of Cows? Why do we like Gerbils instead of Goldfish? How the Horse yielded to Our God. Also plants - why we eat Barley & Oats rather than Pine Trees & Sweet Potatoes.

How do we view the various things that have happened since time began? The Sunstop, Arkat, Destruction of Empires, etc.

Trickster! All cultures have stories of a trickster-type, so what is your culture's view? Pain in the _at_ss? Lovable rogue? Important socio-political safety-valve? etc.

RR
- Richelieu