Re: Digest Number 179

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:35:14 +0000

   From: "Phil Hibbs" <phil_at_...>
>Subject: Meldek in our midst
>
>Can annyone think of a cool reason why an Orlanthi clan might keep a Meldek
>sorceror around. I have an awkward player who insisted on playing a sorceror
>character in what was supposed to be a typical Orlanthi clan based game. He
>isn't even an Aeolian, his magic doesn't fit.
>
>One factor that helps is that the clan in question can field the largest
>army of any in Dragon Pass, and the character has a mastery in "Military
>Genius".
>
>I'm looking for plausable reasons to not have him killed.

Ok. Here goes ...

i) The Meldek Sorceror has incurred a debt to the clan. For example, by inadvertently destroying their crops. Their chief (famed for his fairness, even to strangers) refused to simply slay him, but instead asked for recompense. The sorceror lacked the wealth to do this, but offered his services to the clan for seven years and a day ...

ii) A clan hero made the lightbringer's quest and returned with a slain sorceror ...

Thom