RE: Very Silly Answer

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:31:30 +0100

At the risk of prolonging this, one last attempt:

>> FYI, "rooster" is the American euphemism for "cock".

> I think you mean that cock and rooster can be both be used
> for the male chicken. In all my years living immersed in
> American culture (and hearing dozens of euphemisms for man's
> shame) I've never heard the word rooster used.

Yep, because "rooster" is a *euphemism* that *doesn't* have the same anatomical connotations. Whereas "cock" *does*.

(It would be more than slightly absurd if the Pilgrim Fathers [or their spiritual descendants] had said, "We can't call a male chicken a 'cock' -- that sounds *rude*! Can't we call it a 'todger' or a 'one-eyed trouser-snake' instead...")

Cheers, Nick

PS: I can't leave you all in suspense: here's what happened when Gerald healed the shrivelled Holy Nose of Lytreia:

        It was changed. Its limpness departed, its coloring quickened; corded large blue veins, very intricately forked and branched, arose about its now glowing surface, which revealed also many tiny veins that were brightly red and astonishingly tortuous. It became enormous and high-standing and robust and succulent. It throbbed and jerked. It was hot to the touch: and the roughened cartilage of its erect tip-end now glistened with imperial purple.

        And everywhere at that same instant the magic of Evaine was lifted from Lytreia, and the nose of every man regained its proper proportions and vigor. Young couples to the right hand and to the left coiuld be seen withdrawing to sneeze in private; the girls were already producing their handkerchiefs...