RE: Re: Parts of Gbaji

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:51:59 +0100

> I play in a Lunar campaign and we come across "part of Gabji"
> that we have to deal with (as evil). Now I find I'm not sure
> I understand how we, as Lunar's are likely to see them.

Depends on what kind of Lunars you are. If you think (or are told, or your orders assume) the part of Gbaji is *evil*, then surely that's how you'd start out see it.

Parallel: "I play in a contemporary US campaign and we came across Gray aliens that we had to deal with (as evil)." Well, then, they're evil in your game, dammit! The fact that *other* Americans (in Area 51, in the White House, in smoke-filled rooms, on the Space Station, etc.), in other campaigns (or in plotlines in your own campaign), may be dealing with these Grays as if they were 'good' *doesn't* change the fact that in your game, and in your characters' experience (to date), they're evil.

> The posts I've seen say that these are not parts of Nysalor, so that
> Gabji wasn't Nysalor who had been corrupted by Arkat(?).

Don't get confused! Pelorians use 'Gbaji' as their name for (bad) Arkat, who defeated (good) Nysalor. Other folks use 'Gbaji' as their name for (bad) Nysalor, who was defeated by (good) Arkat. Nobody ever thinks a "part of Gbaji" is GOOD.

OTOH, the Heortlings might wrongly write off a part of Nysalor (good) as a "part of Gbaji" (bad). But this is because they think Nysalor was Gbaji. The Lunars would say Nysalor was Good, and that parts of Nysalor are Good, even if those misinformed and ignorant barbarians, westerners, etc. think he was a Bad Person. They'd be interested in getting their hands on things the barbarians and westerners call "parts of Gbaji" as they'd think these were "parts of Nysalor". (Probably).

The Lunars wouldn't call Nysalor "Gbaji", but they might well say that Gbaji tried to trick people into thinking Nysalor was bad, or that Gbaji tried to trick people into thinking he was Nysalor.

They'd agree that there's a real risk of people mistaking (bad) Gbaji for (good) Nysalor, as one of the stages of the Red Goddess's Quest had her distinguishing (correctly, of course) between the two of them.

But you say in your game it's evil. It's evil, then. Deal with it!

Cheers, Nick