RE: Naked shield-push variants?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:59:49 +0100 (BST)

> Briefly serious:

> > Not the Sartar temple, I don't think.
>
> I agree. We'd have noticed by now. I was thinking of
> one of the
> Provincial ones, up Vanch way, perhaps?

I don't know anything about the area (yet). Could be. Who can tell us about Vanch?

> > I suspect they'd need some sort of mythic
> significance
> > to the lack of armour.
>
> That's easy if they're Yelmalions, Jane: they're
> emulating geases (and
> therefore doing something Sacred). The significance
> of rubbing olive-oil
> all over I shall leave to the casual reader to
> explain...

Olives grow on trees: plants, earth, that sort of thing. Using an earth-related thing is supposed to give them strength as long as they keep their (bare) feet on the ground.
(Why they don't use dust instead of oil is beyond me, though).

If we want Doing Something Sacred, maybe there's another team that plays blind-fold?

> > Can we get the Alkothi into this?
>
> Too scary. And they don't do "friendlies".

Now there's another interesting sports difference: the extent to which different cultures do "friendlies". Think of Julian's reaction to my description of British school hockey. Sounds like in the same culture and with identical rules, boys play "friendlies" and girls don't.

Sort of like Orlanth v. Yelm....

> > Would the standard Orlanti "shield wall" ever be
> > organised enough for Shield Push to be a relevant
> > game, or are they always looser formation?
>
> I dare say the Yelmalions *should* win, except when
> the Orlanthi cheat.
> (Just like the Three Contests of Orlanth and Yelm,
> really).

That does sound good, though I'm not sure just what form the "cheating" would take.

> Shield walls
> can be pretty robust -- look at Hastings! -- but the
> game's not an Orlanthi one, IMO.

Although it now occurs to me that it could be an Ernaldan one? Defence, strength, resistance of enemies rather than taking the fight to them...? Which of the many HW/HQ aspects of Ernalda ended up with a Shield of Arran? Or is that just left to the assorted Gors these days?

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/