A Hushed Silence descends...

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:44:27 +1000

>A hushed, almost reverential silence descends.

Amazing....

Just amazing...

I've just spent a happy half hour touring the generous Heroquest freebies and online chapters at Issaries.

http://www.heroquest-rpg.com/

It's just beautiful. There's just so much richness waiting for us all. I'd seen the drafts, perhaps I've not been conscious of how long we've been waiting for this. HW was a breakthrough, but this is just...

Beautiful.

By coincidence, I bused to work this morning. It was the same bus route where, over 20 years ago, I can remember sitting on the back seat in growing wonder, reading a new games book I'd just picked up, a book called RuneQuest. I still recall reading for the first time about Pavis, and Argrath, and Dragonrise, and thinking that this was a game, a concept, a story far beyond anything I had previously encountered. I think a large number of people are going to experience similar feelings when they discover HeroQuest.

Congratulations to all involved, to Robin, to Mark, to Rory, to Stephen, and all the tribe. And congratulations to Greg for nurturing and expanding our capacity for wonder.

Doubtless more considered and critical musings and comments will follow in the weeks ahead. In the midst of the seeming familiar, there is so much new. But this morning, I am happy to gush as an unapologetic Glorantha fan boy, 2w2.

It's here. It's great. Let's celebrate. The Hero Wars are about imagination and wonder.

Woo hoooo!

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649