Re: Re: mixed worship

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 00:35:28 +1300

David Dunham:

>When I ran my Jrusteli game, I speculated otherwise. Most people
>worshipped as Malkioni, but they would still sacrifice (or pray to or
>whatever) pagan gods for extra luck in some endeavor.

I do think that the (orthodox) Malkioni would know that this is wrong as it perpetuates the Great Error (which is something that they wouldn't need God Learners to find out).

This is not to say that they won't do it (I can imagine some Jonating Boyars doing this before battle) but I don't think they would consider doing so on a regular basis (i.e. initiate status) and still remain in an orthodox Malkioni sect. Laity might do the occasional sacrifice (but not become initiates), but I think Liturgists and Wizards will have their magic screwed up.

>In my game,
>even after the Rightness movement was in full swing, sailors would
>still occasionally do this.

Given that they are sailors says it all really. I do recall Islamic Jurists figuring that a testimony of a sailor was unreliable because taking up sailing as a day-job was ample proof of mental illness. I imagine the Dormali of Seshnela are seen as similarly demented.

> > I've been informed (by both Greg and Sandy on separate occasions)
> > that the Sedalpists are in a minority (perhaps as little as 2-10%),
> > although this is largely masked by the spiritual intensity of the
> > Sedalpists.

>My understanding is that the Sedalpists are not the majority sect.
>They may be the *largest* sect, however.

Just tracked down Sandy and Greg's maunderings on this. Sandy thinks 10-15% but largest sect because they are the only Umathelan Malkioni so organized (others Malkioni merely being in loosely structured pan-valley creeds). Greg merely says minor branch of Malkionism.

--Peter Metcalfe