Re: Digest Number 186

From: Martin Dick <martin.dick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:57:54 +1100

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:56:46 -0500
> From: "KYER, JEFFREY" <jeff.kyer_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Re: mixed worship
>

> Looks good on paper but the effect is somewhat different: Are they more
> powerful or not?
>
> If the flaw of missapplied worship is a HP multiplier, then then it
> becomes progressively harder to increase the magical abillties compared
> to someone using 'purer' worship forms. Thus, the longer you worship,
> the less effective you will become with time. Now, it seems that the
> folks who are misapplied are not quite as powerful as those who are
> using more correct forms of worship. With this method you will never be
> truly powerful -- BUT it can be done at a the initiate/layman level with
> little difference in effect. They are not going to be going for
> monsterous magic (tm)
>
> if the problem is a target number, then the common user will be
> penalized and the high-end magician won't notice any problem as
> increasing the resistance by 4 or 5 is trival when you have a high
> score. But to the casual user -- the people who form the bulk of these
> cults, a +4 to the target number renders most of their magic useless.
> And a cult's power derives from its worshippers rather than its 'star
> players' (though they help greatly, I think)

I've never really had the impression that misapplied worshippers were necessarily weaker at higher levels e.g Orlanth and Humakt worshippers on the Plains of Prax in all the pre Hero Wars never gave me the impression
of being weaker than the Waha warriors, maybe not as adapted to the environment/culture in some ways, but not weaker in a magical sense. Even the article by Greg about their worship in HW terms just says it is harder, it doesn't say weaker. I was wondering what gave you the impression that misapplied magic is not as powerful at the high ends.

As an aside, what magical tradition is Harrek using? I would assume animist, but what sort of things did he do to get so powerful? Did he integrate the Polar bear god and if he did how did he learn Spirit Combat at that level?

Martin