Re: Glorantha / Hero Wars Intro Guide

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:09:59 -0500

Bruce Ferrie wrote:

> On Monday, November 27, 2000 1:58 AM, Tim Ellis [SMTP:tim_at_...]
> wrote:
> I did a little work on this yesterday, as it happens, as well as working on a
> new demo scenario that I've had a very good idea for. I've come up with a
> provisional TOC, for what sort of things I'd like to see included:

These are all useful for a walk though -- and these stages are incorporated into the demo I use (first contests are simple and get more involved from there) based on the "Black Spear" scenario that Robin Laws was kind enough to show me.

However, I think what is needed is a 4 page 'what the heck is Glorantha' Making it fit such a small place is a bit of a problem.

> 1. How to explain the rules to new players.
Good -- and possibly incorporate 'okay, use simple test here' in the demo. In a demo scenario, one cannnot err on the side of too much help... I'm continually surprised by the questions I get from folks demoing in the programs I run.
> 1a. How to read the character sheet.
> 1b. The difference between a Simple and Extended Contest; when to use each
> type.
> 1c. How to do a Simple and Extended Contest; quick run-through for a new
> player.
> 1d. Augmentation and Edges - real basic overview.
> 1e. What to give the players as a handout (i.e., at least the tables from the
> synopsis, maybe a pregen character).

> 2. How to create characters.
> Give a sample character and a step-by-step of how to get from the 100 word
> description to the finished character sheet, like on Wesley's site.
>
> 3. How to run the world.
> 3a. Some typical Resistances for "common feats" - climbing, etc.
> 3b. Typical skill levels for NPCs, etc.
> 3c. A step-by-step example of how to run an Extended Contest, including some
> Augmentations/Edges, examples of using Affinities and Feats.
> 3d. A little bit of blurb telling the Narrator not to stress about the
> "flexibility" of feat names/skills. Give a couple of examples of what is and
> isn't an appropriate skill/ability to use in a given situation.
>
> 4. Include the errata and FAQ? And maybe an abbreviated Glossary of the *most*
> common terms in the game (not the full 12-page version...).

Maybe, but this bears a great resemblance to the material provided in the Deluxe version and the demo pack pdf downloadable from Glorantha.com? But we do need a good quick background pack. Its my understanding that soemthing like this IS in TR but I think it should be posted to the HW site (and I'll gladly attac

> 5. Optional - nice things to include if you're running, say, a demo.
> A little bit of source material about the area where the scenario is set for
> the players to take away. Like the "What My Father Told Me" stuff or something.

Very good idea! I remember how enthralling I found those little mythlets when I got the old Gods of Glorantha. And this is probably the most crucial thing on your wishlist. If your write is clear, concise and (above all) cool, I'd be honoured to put it onthe website.

> Maybe, if you can get one, a nice copy of a map. Players like pretty maps.
> A copy of the scenario that you were running, so they can take it away and play
> it themselves?

A map for your scenario or perhaps a map of Sartar itself. From my experiences running coordinating the 7AEG Legend of the Five Rings and 7th Sea demos in Ontario (AEG asked me to write the standard Intro Scenario used in AEG's 250 member demo program -- "Who Wants To Join The Navy"), CANDY is the thing for players interest. Giving a player that 'neato' feeling is the goal. And everyone loves freebies. We give away a starter pack of the CCG or a booster or a membership in a secret society for AEG's products.

When I run a HW demo, I make sure I have extra copies of Sheepless or Flying Kites to give away (and photocopies of the Quickie Rules (annotated version). It seems to go over well, so I'd think that any 'candy' you can give out is going to be a good thing. When demos of HW were being run last year, Greg & Co gave out out copies of the entire demo kit to those people who showed interest.

> I'm going to carry on with it after work tonight. Anyone got any ideas on stuff
> that should/shouldn't be in it?

A re-write of the demo rules should serve your purposes for the rules end. But a 'what is Glorantha' overview would be a good thing. But short, sweet examples are very useful if they do not crowd out the descriptions.
This is the sort of thing I love seeing on the list! You've made my morning, Bruce. Thanks.

Hope this helps,

Jeff