Re: Gods with infirmity ?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:33:38 +1000

Wilfried asks about infirm dieties.

I think, given the world-shattering terror of the Greater Darkness, there must be dozens. Not only of the Storm Tribe, but, dependant on culture, of every group that retains myths of the World Turned Upside Down.

Whether they are worshipped or have formal cults is another matter. Most I imagine, are honoured in story more than rite, and their adherents engage in private and spontaneous worship, in the same way as Uleria is served more by lovers sighs and deeds than by formal cult.

But they endure! In this they follow the basic unwritten law of the Storm Tribe: beyond everything, endure!

In the Storm Tribe, they would be a group of gods and goddesses probably known by a collective title, they would be Thunder Brothers. I'm writing this at work, and no collective name immediately springs to mind, any suggestions?

Many gods were stripped of vast parts of themselves during the Greater Darkness. For most, this manifested as a loss of runic connections and other powers. For some, mythically, it would have manifested as loss of senses, limbs, or awareness. The myths of their own struggle to survive, and the feats they learned in doing so, would still be remembered by the tribes.

I'm sure the cults of Jera, and Chalanna, among others, would preserve their memory and repeat their stories.

Infirmity is usually ignored in a roleplaying environment, but once you scratch the surface, the stories are there, and they can be just as inspiring and challenging as any other heroic adventure.

Of course, 'healing' is much more of a possibility in Glorantha, even the loss of a limb or a major wound has at least the hope of a full recovery, and the cults for such healing are well known.

Warrior cultures, especially nomadic or semi-nomadic ones, may have traditions where the inform go off to die, or are abandoned. 'for the good of the tribe'.

This tension also permeates Heortling culture to a certain degree. In some traditions, a tribal king must be 'whole'. But this is balanced by a strong collective sense of responsibility, as evidenced by the Harmony Lodges and 'Mishap Houses' first mentioned by Greg and expanded by me at

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/lagerwater.html#harmony

I'll be thinking more about this over the weekend.

Have fun at Scotscon folks!

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649
Visit CAEPR on the web at http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/