Re: More Thoughts on Wounded Gods and Heroes

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:54:20 +0100

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> writes:

>But gods who go around on crutches and are still
>worshipped despite being useless - sorry, can't think
>of any.

How about Donander?

>From Storm Tribe p210: "He was helpless against the disharmony and
darkness, which eventually killed him. He was so weak in the Underworld that he could not hold onto the Great Net. His children did not let him go even in death, and supported him so he became part of the Great Compromise"

Of course, the blind poet or crippled skald is practically a mythic archetype: plus it's a good career for people unable to make a living as a warrior or farmer.

On a darker note, there's always Sorana Tor and Eurmal-Hisfault the Scapegoat. I don't think we should always make the Heortlings 'nice', and organised compassion for the disabled seems like more the sort of thing Sedenya and Teelo Norri would be promoting...

Stephen