Heortlings raised by Lunars (questions and characetr writeup)

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:14:46 -0500

I remember a reference to Heortling sons and daughters being taken as hostages and raised by Lunars and returning to their homelands, bringing Lunar ways. Of course, I cannot find where this is mentioned, but I have a few questions.

Where would these people have likely been raised? At first I was thinking that Sylila or Aggar might be suitable, since these have some cultural similarities to the Heortling culture. But I could also believe that the Lunars would want the heortling children to be raised in a more "civilized" environment to inculcate them with a more pro-lunar outlook.

I have a character in mind who was raised in this way, and has returned to Sartar, but is secretly working to undermine the Lunar authorities. He seems to be a foppish young Lunar noble, but he is actually ferreting out information that can help Sartarite rebels. I still need to pin down his homeland and figure out what kind of magic he uses, but here's the (still less than) 100 word writeup for him:

Aski Ranulfson was a Heortling chieftain�s son raised by a minor but respected [Lunar] nobleman to teach the Orlanthi Lunar ways. He appears and acts like a foppish yet likeable Lunar wastrel, seemingly out of place amongst the rude Sartarites. However, Aski works to free Sartar from Lunar rule, using his harmless, likeable demeanor and ability to improvise rapidly to procure information useful to the Sartarite rebels. He learns languages and accents quickly, can go native when required, and is an accomplished equestrian and swordsman. He listens closely and remembers what he hears.

I'd appreciate any guidance about this matter.

Guy Hoyle