Re: Heortlings raised by Lunars (questions and characetr writeup)

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:09:36 -0500

John Hughes wrote:
[lots of really great material which I've snipped. Very helpful, John, and many thanks!

>I lked your character. Some of these fosterlings would be agents of
>Imperial aggression. Some would be lost in the wasteland between their two
>cultures, and a few, like Aski, would have retained their birth loyalties,
>perhaps through the secret tutoring of an accompanying nurse or bodyservant.

Which gives me some ideas for other characters, too. The aforementioned nurse or bodyservant, certainly, either present or recently passed away. A companion/spy with the same origin, who has become a loyal Lunar. A cousin in his homeland, Aldarna, long-separated, turned Vingan after her family was slain along with Aski's family; at first she mistrusts his Lunar-seeming ways, but soon begins to see that he 's the same Aski she grew up with in happier times. A fellow dispalced Heortling met upon Aski's return, undecided about where his loyalties lie, yet led to studying his native culture before it is swallowed up by the Lunars.

I'm still puzzled over what magic to give Aski. Raised in a pro-Lunar household, he should probably be a worshipper of the Seven Mothers, but would it be possible for someone who is "open to the Lunar way" to work against it? Probably I should just give him some common magic (Make Up Convincing Story, Set At Ease, Appear Drunker Than You Are, Drink Without Getting Drunk, Get Out of Sticky Situation).

Guy