Re: Effing Excellent

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:45:35 -0000

> I'm still a little unclear though about affinities use by
> initiates.

I'll try to help.

An affinity is always an augment, it helps you do something, it is not an ability to do something. So if you have a Flight affinity it can augment any flying abilities you have. If you can't fly, it is up to player and narrator negotiation what skills you can augment. Vanganth flying is getting exhaled breath to carry you, so an augment could probably use the wind from your exhaled breath to give you an extra bit of lift, so I would allow you to use it to augment jumping and the like. Remember the 'try to say yes', rule when making the 'can you augment decision'

A feat is an ability. It enables you to do something (against a resitance of 14 if no active or supernatural opposition). So the feat Aerial Maneuvering within a Flight affinity will perform tricky acrobatics while Flying against a resistance of 14. I wouldn't tend to make a Vanganthi roll just to get aloft (sort of task a hero should not fail at), YGWV.

The rule of theumb here is that if you want to roll against the magical skill to do the task then that skill needs to be a feat. If you want to roll against a mundane skill and use the affinity to help you, then use an affinity.

If an initiate wants to use his magical ability to do something, our Vangathi initiate wants to fly then he needs to improvise a feat (our initate has to use his breath not just to lift himself, but to fly) and he gets the penalty for imporivsing a feat. He is restricted to the list of feats in the affinity.

If a devotee wants to use a feat not in the list, for example if our devotee wants to perform the famous Vanganth Turn, climbing to doa 180 degree turn and face the enemy on his tail, he also needs to improvise.

Any clearer?