maps as opponents

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:36:54 EDT

<< Anyone else done anything like this?? >>

Not exactly very similar but it involves maps:

Being a mad, bad, simulationist I use actual hex maps of Glorantha for travel and other long distance phenomena and a simple contest to resolve the result of movement. Heroes, (armies, monsters, etc) choose how far want to go using some ability and the numbe ro hexes is the resistance (modified by bad terrain, etc) The contest result gives rise to some calamity (if failed) that must be overcome (got lost, fatigued, ambushed, only get half the way there, out of food, short of water, injured or winded horse (sable, zebra, loper etc)

Using my post-contest augment rule* I can let the players give me a good idea about what went wrong.

*No augments are made for simple contests until after the event, at which point augments may be attempted (either persuading the Narrator how an auto-augment might be supposed to help or rolled augments) if there is the possibility of affecting the result. High risk rolled augments that do not work give plenty of insight into why the journey was a disaster.

Keith