Duty on software

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:14:14 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2003 3:01:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time, HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com writes:
> > You wouldn't happen to know what the duty is on software, would

> you? I know about Canada Post's flat $5 fee, but I can't find any
> solid information on duties, if any.
>
> I paid just PST/GST on mine - but you'd just pay GST what with being
> in Alberta. Duty proably isn't going to be too high on something
> costing you $20 US. Personally, if you're going the Warehouse 23
> route, I'd order a few things and get them bundled together. Maybe go
> in with yoru friends.

There is no duty on software made in the US (only non NAFTA members get charged a variable series of rates - like Most Favoured Nation rate for Germany frex), just regular GST and PST if the province you are in charges it. Postal Customs usually charges a $5 fee to process it though.

As Oliver said, its hard to get someone on the phone, but I'm a border Customs Inspector by trade so the above is a fact or I'll eat the Customs Tariff (no mean feat as its a foot thick book).

Martin Laurie