Re: Hero's Book ?

From: Graeme P. Bell <mac_logo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:54:03 -0000

Hold on... retuning...

<Ob Off-Topic>
I got mine this morning. Amid a tonne of junk mail. Postal Strikes, the _only_ way to keep spam from your door. </Ob Off-Topic>

Actually. It's not at all bad. Speaking purely as a G.M. It's a very nice set of alternate examples, with just enough new info to provide the icing on the cake and make it worth buying. There is some new info that makes me go ..."Huh? Wot! More!!?"* (footnote) In other words "Welcome to Glorantha, it varies..."

It's _not_ "Glorantha for Dummies" or "The Idiot's Guide To HeroQuest", for which we must be truly thankful. It does do the boxout and frequent example thing that both those series do - and does them well. I don't recall a boxout not being relevant to the page it's on.

As far as I can tell, after one read through, there are incredibly few typos (3 so far - I'll post them to Issaries later) and none make comprehension difficult.

Gripes.
Hmmm, the binding is a bit iffy. I've seen worse, but I don't think it'll be particularly durable. OTOH, a long lasting campaign will outgrow this book in relatively few sessions - which is good.

It does assume an internet connection. Yes, I know it's a fair assumption, but it would be nice to have the option for folks who still don't have that luxury to have alternate paths to the expanded versions of the example Hero Bands. I'm probably (definitely, more like) being oversensitive given how long Gloranthaphiles have been online. _And_ most newbies will have connections.

Personally, I like the PDF links, More please, including the semifilled  character sheets, if possible. I don't have a scanner attached at the moment.

Some of the artwork is reused Hero Wars stuff and a bit, emm, adequate. OTOH, the new artwork is always apt and frequently ... struggles for the right phrase... just damn good. More Yoshihide YANO and more Duck Nicholson please! Duck? Seriously? Must be fate. Overall the art (even the reused bits) is well chosen and evocative of Glorantha. Well, I think so - YGWV!

So Well done _all_ at Issaries. May the HeroQuest line continue to keep up the standard.

*(footnote) So, Mark. Where is the Volcano that erupts to music? Enquiring minds need to know...

Graeme