Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:26:10 -0000

> The point of get-outs is they allow you to do much WORSE things
(and
> they shouldn't be apparent until AFTER the event). ("The God has
> been merciful. This time the one you slew was only a thrall.")

For many gods no doubt this would work, but for Humakt in particular I'm not convinced.

> The important thing to Humakt is that a would-be devotee has to be
> prepared to bring Death where it is needed - and NOT to abuse his
> power by killing willy-nilly.

And this is why. If the candidate has to kill person X as a test, then there must be excellent reasons why X has to die. And if it turns out that Y is dead instead, those reasons either still exist (so go and find X and try again), or they were faked. And if they were faked, Humakt is going out of his way to decieve his worshippers. God of truth, honour, etc? I think not.

> If you want to make your Humakti really grim, that's up to you -
but
> I wouldn't want to rule out a fight to the death between player
> characters as part of a test

Nice idea, but not one I'd want to use myself.

> OR to actually kill a player character
> just for a Devotion test (at least not without a way out

Well, I'd accept killing the candidate if they failed, but not another PC who's just playing opposition. Not without the players agreement, anyway. Using NPCs as the test seems safer all round, given that this *is* a game.