Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:49:21 +0000 (GMT)

> Well Humakt actually BEING merciful might be one of
> those little delusions humans need.

They may need it, but I'm not convinced they get it: not at devotee level. Delusions are not what Humakt is about. Mercy, yes. Lying, no. But this sounds like a case of YHMY.

> But I think there needs to be a balance
> between testing and actually killing people.

Why? The only reason to hold back that I can see is if the proposed victim is a player character, and there's still no in-game reason even then.

> I see your point, but I think that a temporary
> deception, in the name
> of revealing a greater truth ("Now you KNOW you
> would do it") might be acceptable.

Definitely YHMV, then. That sounded like the end justifying the means.

> The problem is that another PC might BE the
> character's best friend -
> wannabe Humakti aren't the sort who are popular and
> make friends easily.

If the guy's only got one friend, he'd probably be facing a different test. Sounds like he hasn't got much left to learn about Humakt being more important than friends.

All suggestions for different tests welcome, but my guess would be whatever the PC would find difficult. Look at the virtue, skill, affinity or whatever that they need and have at the lowest level: then test that.

> A Humakti Devotion probably ought to
> involve A death, but if
> you include too much death what do you do if someone
> wants to be a Disciple ?

Retire them from play, I suspect. Beyond that I have no real idea. Disciples have more or less no free will,
as I remember it?

Jane Williams

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk