Re: Pol Joni and worship

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:15:11 -0000

Were we?

>I would assume that they still maintain a
> theistic culture, not an animist one.

Agreed. However, I can see there being many more Animists in the Pol Joni than, for instance, in Heortling Orlanthi. Prax is stuffed to bursting with spirits to contact & be contacted by. We know that Orlanthi dislike animism in general, but that they are prepared to stand for certain animists within their society.

>IIRC though they do include
> exiles from the Nomad tribes, so presumably they might have some
> animist practitioners amongst them, or do we suspect that they have
> misapplied worship of some Praxian entities ie.e theistic worhsip
of
> Waha and Eirithra (I quite like the idea of this - a sort of
balance
> to the Nomads misapplied owship of Heorting deities.

I can'r see Waha being too well disposed to the Pol Joni, although maybe Eiritha might look more kindly on them. Certainly they would know enough about the Great Spirits to create the rituals to Misapply Theistic worship, but I would now favour them simply having some Animists around who could lead ecstatic worship ceremonies when needed, in much the same way (but directed toward more powerful spirits) as the Kolati. There may even exist an equivalent of the furtive Malia propitiators, hedging their bets with the Waha shaman in the passing tribe...

Wulf