Re: Humakti devotees

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:51:17 +0000

Bryan:

>Personally my take on it is that you have to invite the god into
>

>you. To become a devotee you have to be willing to give up being
>just yourself, you are now yourself but to some extent a vessel of
>your god. No longer do you call on him/her/it to exercise some
>portion of its might on your behalf, now you can use the gods own
>powers. You give up your proffesion as such and are beyond the usual
>ceremonies meant to honor your god, now your whole life is a hymn to
>your god, sung in harmony between you and the god.

To my mind, that sounds more like a description of a disciple than a devotee. A devotee, after all, still spends half of his time doing things not directly relevant to his god. If a 50% time requirement turns your 'whole life' into a hymn, how much of your life is taken up by a 90% requirement? ;)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic