Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:07:09 GMT

In message <20031107121221.75658.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Jane=20Williams?= writes:

>Ignore that fact that he happens to be a PC, not an
>NPC: no relationships to family or to anyone else
>beyond his fellow fighters sounds like someone who has
>no more to learn about dropping all relationships in
>favour of the deity. I don't know what test would be
>demanded of him, but it wouldn't be that. So whether
>his fellow fighters are PCs or not, and whether one of
>them has conveniently just done something demanding
>their death or not, is irrelevant.

Just thinking about this issue, I would suggest that becoming a devotee requires a heroquest which exercises each of the affinities of the god. So a Humakti would be required to succeed at combat, death and honour. Combat's an easy one - win a fight. Death is trickier because it involves choosing whether someone or something should be dead or alive - the ghost of a dead parent perhaps, whatever is most difficult for the character. Honour would involve a choice where the player will suffer when they tell the truth. If one of these severs or damages a relationship important to the character then it is even more appropriate. Killing a living being isn't necessarily the most appropriate and indeed if a player was too keen on killing the appropriate test might well be not to kill something which should be alive.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/