Re: Re: Help Wanted with White Moon Heroquest

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:59:19 +0100

Simon :

> > I've been running my game in and around Pavis for nearly a year
> > and I am building up to a dramatic climax whereby the player
> > characters are going to help a White Moon Lunar Priestess perform a
> > Heroquest to speed up the turning of the moon from the Red Moon to
> > the White moon. The background implies that this has happened in
> the
> > past (i.e. the moon changing colours), but I'm suddenly finding
> > myself bereft of ideas for the writing of such a heroquest.
>
> The orriginal White Moon (Verithurusa) of the perfect sky
> wandered and dipped below the horison, apparently turning
> red by the time it returned from the underworld.

The original White Moon shone over Prax too, remember, so it can definitely be a half-forgotten figure of Old Pavic mythology.

Maybe Mani, of Mani's Fort (if you have the relevant fan material), can even remember what the White Moon looked like, and can provide secret HQ paths to find the new White Moon ?

The Pavisites would cheerfully provide help to weaken the Empire's magic.

Also, remember that the Red Moon will (according to some myths) be devoured by a dragon, a theme which could fairly easily be slipped into the HQ, as a EWFey Pavic thingy ...

> Alternatively, perhaps a piece of the orriginal White Moon broke off,
> for reasons unknown, and that's why it wandered beyond the edge of
> the sky in the first place. This piece of the White Moon happened to
> land near Pavis, and muct be recovered. perhaps it's in the Puzzle
> Canal and recovering it means returning to the Golden Age, or
> something.

I like this suggestion, and that's much like how I might do it myself.

You could switch things around a bit, by using the "Call to Adventure" stage of the standard campbellian HeroQuest pattern, to have the White Moon call the players towards her, and into the otherworld, and maybe try and create an ethereal atmosphere of Lunar magic, opposing the distant mythical past and the unknown future of the New Moon as a theme involving the secrets of Time.

The New Moon will be the Moon of Peace, of course, so the HeroQuest could involve conflict avoidance rather than the traditional HQ narrative conflicts.

I have to say that it sounds like an experimental HeroQuest, and should therefore be extremely difficult in one way or another. I'm not saying you should necessarily pump up the Resistance numbers, but that the consequences for any failure(s) should be suitably severe. OTOH, the HQ would be easier to write, and would certainly be more akin to a magical journey than a standard HeroQuest as presented in the game.

Really, the key is to find your plot, and fly with it.

You know where the story ends, seemingly, which is 80% of the work.

It seems what you need is the story's beginning, and the rest ought to slip into place fairly easily.

Julian Lord

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"