Re: Examples...

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:55:47 -0000

Well, the text about the ambush refers to 'several rounds', which does imply an extended contest (and this is how I'd run it generally, unless the players were hopelessly outmatched/ing), but that's the *only* contest in that scenario I'd peg as an extended near enough by definition (although the struggle with the raiders at the start comes very close). That said, I could see others becoming extended. For example, if the players really got into the debate with the enemy chief and wanted to use various abilities and gambits then it would be worth making an extended precisely because they have decided that it deserves the extra 'camera time.' Likewise, you could make coping with the headstrong Gulvik at the end an extended if you wanted to create micro-scenes for trouble before the heroes returned home in triumph.

The bottom line is that I really don't think you can -- or should -- present any more guidance. It's one of the things you have to get your head round, that in many ways HQ is very democratic. If narrators and players want to fast forward, then even a battle becomes a one-roll affair, on the other hand if they set great store by beating the bully who terrorised them during their childhood, then it might be worth making an extended, even if it is no real contest, to give it greater impact and to allow the vicarious thrill of dumping him head first in the water butt this round, then throwing him into the midden in the next...

All the best

Mark