Re: Ex Krarshti humakti

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:02:55 -0000

Reinierd:

> ...while honor through its connection to truth has the
>tendency to pull towards rightness and justice (which may
>or may not support slaughter, but requires something
>additional to do so).

and in a later post:

>My point is that if you take the honor out of Humakt, he becomes
>a lot less interesting and a lot less fun. I'm not saying this
>to shout other opinions down, but to provoke thought, elicit
>different opinions and hopefully learn something new myself.

> ....1) you have to get a lot of broo to behave honorably
>(whatever that means), ....

I've laready addresses this point to some extent. I think your linkage of honour with rightness and justice is misplaced. Justice is an aspect of Orlanth, not Humakt. Orlanth killed and repented, compensating for his actions. That is justice. Humakt killed and became death, embodying the consequences of his act. That is honour.

Humakt knows that note everyone who dies deserves it, but that is not his concern. I think Martin Laurie's post regarding the Carmanian Humakti is helpful here:

>Effectively the Carmanian Humakt is a killer, a harsh god of
>death and war, executions and oaths. Not to be crossed lightly
>and with more of a hard edge than the typical Heortling cultist.
>Many Hazars follow him, especially in Spol where death is
>revered and the Knight Killers of Hum'akt are rightly feared.

Heortling Humakti are still Heortlings. They still live in Heortling society, server Heortling chiefs and prize Heortling cultural values. As Martin points out, those values are not anything to do with Humakt per se. The old writeup, and the new one if memory servers, points out that Humakti fight on every side in most battles either as loyal retainers or cold blooded mercenaries. The rightness of one side or another is nothing to the god of death, he cares only how they acquit themselves on the field of battle.

Simon Hibbs