Re: Re: HQ newbie questions

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:48:19 +0000 (GMT)

> Actually, if you look at the ability to succeed
> against a default
> resistance, the starting heroes aren't too tough.

> Where this can be hard to reconcile is with glorious
> write ups. It
> is easy to say "Archie is known as the hero of the
> battle of Blood
> Hill, where he siezed Arkat's spear and was awarded
> Heort's
> armring." However, really, he is more at the level
> of .. a newly minted
> journeyman).....lots of potential, some decent
> skills, but really no hot shot yet.

One way I've handled this is to say that she fought gloriously in such-and-such a battle, but the injuries she took there now slow her in combat. So in the past she may have had multiple masteries in combat, but now she's back down to a basic 5W or so. You *could* take the scars and slowness as a Flaw, but just balancing one against the other and dropping the combat skill to the one the rules allow is easier.

Or maybe she fought in a great battle, then went back to her spinning and weaving for a few years, and has lost her edge. Just don't assume that change in the past has always meant skills improving.

Jane Williams

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk