Turtles and Crayfish

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:30:36 +1100

At 09:26 2003-11-30 +0000, HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:
>I don't see where Esrolia comes ito it, but turtles
>swim in rivers, don't they? (Well, not in Britain they
>don't, but in places where turtles actually live).
>Surely the Grasers must have access to rivers?

Somehow, I can image that those giant Galapagos land tortoises living in Esrolia. They'd be slow moving and placid, domesticated types, but maybe their nastier cousins live in the wilder uplands with the snapping turtles.

Up in Tarsh of course, they have Giant Freshwater Crayfish (cf. "Jaxarte in Furthest", published in Unspoken Word #2):

MEGAMARRON (giant freshwater crayfish)
[locusta gigans]

Ages: Green, Golden, Historical (rare)
Habitat: River valleys
Weapons and Armor: Chitinous exoskeleton 12, Large claw 3 Distinct Abilities: Look threatening 15, Vice-like hold 10W

Tactics: the large claw is primarily used for mating display; the megamarron's usual response to danger is to face the threat and wave the claw menacingly. A conditioned reflex to grasp and never let go means that anything foolish enough to get in the way of the claw can only escape by prising it open or hacking the claw off.

Description: The megamarron is a large freshwater lobster, native to the river valleys of Tarsh. Although they live for hundreds of years and the biggest specimens grow to the size of a small pony, they are now extremely rare; since the Lunar pacification of Tarsh numbers have dwindled alarmingly. Now all but extinct in the Oslir itself, marron hunters now must go far up its tributaries and streams seeking out remaining specimens to meet the insatiable Lunar appetite for this delicacy.

Returning to the water only to spawn, adult megamarron spend much of the day in a moist burrow, coming out to scavenge along the river bank at dawn and dusk. Once considered sacred beasts by the local river cults, the native folk used to leave carrion out as offerings. Despite their terrifying appearance they are relatively harmless, and the easiest way to catch one is to leave rancid meat outside a likely hole.

(My one and only - and ever - attempt at Hero Wars stats...)

Cheers,

MOB

MICHAEL O'BRIEN - 9 Parker Street Richmond VIC 3121 Australia +61-3-9428-9048 mobile: 04-3828-9048 Email me: mrmob_at_...
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html **see my auctions of RARE, OOP and hard-to-find RuneQuest & Glorantha stuff (pruned from my bookcase) at: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mob_megacorp/