Re: Household of Death

From: janewilliams20_at_...
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:25:55 -0000

On 1 Dec 2003 at 17:08, John Hughes wrote:

> I'm at work, so I can't quote from KOS

I'm not, so since there isn't much to quote and some people may not have it to refer to...

p141
"Following the king's coronation his two daughters and his 8-year-old son, Harsaltar, stepped forward and took unbending vows and iron oaths to defend their kingdom. At Sartar's Temple they invok ed the aid of Humakt to gain heroic powers in trade for terrible geas and taboos. Others, inspired by the moving cereony, did likewise and they formed the Household fo death, sworn to defend Sartar to the death and beyond, into the Land of Death.
In 1602 the Lunar Empire made a major effort to crush Sartar. The Red Emperor hmself led the army and crossed the River south of Dwarf Ford. They marched through the Dragons Eye and towards Runegate Fort, where most of the Sartar army awaited. The Household fo Death, meanwhile, attempted a counterattack. With the Aldichuri army they marched against Tarsh. They beat off a troll ambush and then the pig-riders too. Then they reached the Glowline and the full force from the Temple of the Reaching Moon seared the souls from the bodies of all mere mortals, and sent the survivors, both the cowardly and the wise, in blind panic from the country. The remnants of the Household of Death began the long return to help their countrymen."

(I note in passing that this is from CHDP, which is written by a Gloranthan author who wasn't exactly unbiased and is known to be deliberately misleading in other places. Take this description with a large pinch of salt!)

<other fighting in Sartar, inc at Runegate>

p142
"The Household of Death led the defense of Boldhome." <snip evacuation> "It was a desperate struggle, and during the siege...." <various bits of bad news were delivered>

<non-HoD fighting and magic>

"Harsalter the Terrible, the son of the Prince, met the Emperor in single combat and gave him a fatal wound. That could have won the dsay except that the dying emperor slid part his defenses and forced the boy to break a geas which killed him."

<battle lost>
"None of Salinarg's family survived, nor did a single member of the Household of Death."

I did't see anything there to suggest that the HoD was based in Aldachur. Where did that come from?

> >- 50 hardcore Household of Death members, I mean, how many senior,
> >hard-core Humakti can there be in Sartar?
> Even less, purely on personal bias. It was their geasa and oaths which were
> so frightening, not their numbers.

It may also (just guessing here) have been the age of their leader. Anyone read "Ender's Game"? Interesting ideas on what happens when you get very young children involved in warfare.