Re: Household of Death

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:05:48 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Philipp Grawe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm tossing around ideas for a module with players as Lunar soldiers
> drafted shortly before the push south in 1602, culminating in the
> battle at Runegate Fort - with the obvious climax (hopefully not all
> players have read teh histories and it comes as a surprise to at
> least someone).
>
> One of the main early encounters is going to be the Household of
> Death.

Ooooh! Pick me! =D

Ahem. *straightens tie... well cardigan*

Actually I ran my game from 1600 onwards, and some of the focus is on the Household of Death.

> Has anyone put any thought into how many members the Household of
> Death would have had? I assume they took some heavy losses as they
> went - particular during their venture beyond the Glowline, so I'm
> thinking about the numbers early on, rather than later.

I asked Greg about this at some time. I was thinking 100 - 200 at the time, but was corrected that it was actually a few handfuls of "superheroic indivuals".

So here's what I came up with:

There's the three children of the prince, and then one noble child from each tribe (including a duck and a telmori). So 27.

But after direct approval by Humakt of this sacrifice of that wich is most prescious, these children (pre initiation, 13 or less basically) are all in the w3 league.

But remember there's at least the four warriors for each of them. That's 135 high end Humakti already right there. Also this has created an influx into the cult of Humakt, and the temple of the Household houses at least 400 fanatical humakti under the leadership of the Household.

So, an elite body of 500 humakti, equipped and financed by the tribes and by the royal house.

More than a match for any one unit the Empire can throw at them. Unfortunately the empire will not stop at one.

The history of the invasion, as portrayed in KoS is a disaster for Sartar. Everything that can go wrong goes wrong, and the Empire throws a huge overkill of troops at the small barbarian kingdom.

We'll just have to see how it goes in my game.

Write to me if you want some more material. I've detailed a handful of the key people and stories around them. For instance the saga of Gerlef Ravenswing. A mere boy who retrieved Humakt's Raven Banner for the Wyter of the household. Gerlef faced the Deathdream of the Black Dragon. Vasnok the Black, the most feared dreamdragon in all of Dragon pass and walked away with the banner... (a long and epic story there)

        -Adept