Re: Hero points : a narrator recants

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:24:45 -0000

Roger Barnes <rogerd_at_p...> wrote:
> Having read the rules it appears I may have been a little stingy,

IMHO its always easier to recover from being too stingy than too generous

> although I'm not happy with the idea of players having large
numbers of
> points to use in combat.

I suspect that one of the problems is the trade of abilities improvement/roll saving.

Because we have not been spending HP on improving abilities then it might seem that giving us extra points could increase the number of rolls we could alter the outcome on. However from my experience as a player so far I don't like spending Hero Points, but I keep getting into situations where my rolls are bad, yours are good and I am fading fast on my feet so I have to use one. At the moment I have nothing spare to spend on raising abilities (i.e. if I want to 'cement' those followers I picked up, I'm going to need to have some HP left).

There is an interesting discussion on hw-rules at the moment, about how to avoid players, bidding very high and then using a HP to make sure the attack succeeds as a tactic. I suspect if you begin to feel that we are abusing the system to do that then you should cut HP awards, however I think the style so far has been using Hero Points to save the day when we get hard pressed. I don't know if having more would change that. We might not be indebted to those Lunars for a spot of healing though...

Ian