Re: Hero points : a narrator recants

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:34:57 -0500

> As an aside, at 3 pts per session in a five week game a charcter could
> gain half a mastery in close combat - this strikes me as excessive.
>
> roger

Only if the player did nothing else...

...dindn't bump up (unlikely)

...didn't improve his magic

...didn't cement any new allies, followers, contacts.... MAGIC ITEMS.

...didn't increase his wealth -- just because the chief gave you 15 cows for being a sterling warrior doesn't mean you still have them. You may have thrown a feast, paid for a bride price, had them stolen (revenge!) or lost them gambling.

And if you don't cement them, they are just not availble (or cost 2 hp when they want them). I hold my players to that. And if they say 'well, we really did want to talk to that old Issaries trader, then I'd say that one of them would have to cement *before* I'd let him wander back.

...and this happens if they don't improve any other skills.

ANY game system breaks down when taken to an abslute extreme such as this. Do players increase their bargain? No? Then rip them off at market. Tracking? Let them lose sight of their foes and blunder around. Magic? Then hit them with competent magicians (and don't let them use Close Combat to dodge incoming magic). Intimidate? Then let them be bullied by the Bulls...

How about relationships? No? Then friends and family are not going to be able to help -- more important folks are taking up their time and efforts... (Sorry, dear. Daddy has to go Westfaring with the chief..)

Have you investigated the throught of 'directed hp'? Every time my group saves the clan or temple or whomever, I make sure that at least 1 hp is going into building or increasing a relationship -- and then match it with a 'freebie' (the example at the end of Hound Tower is relevant)

Hope this helps!

Jeff