Re: Pol Joni and worship

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:57:50 -0500

At 11:55 AM 12/07/2000 +1100, Michael Hitchens wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>> Wulf Corbett:
>> >implication, then, you agree with me that a Theist cannot just decide
>> >to worship a spirit without some education (be it from HQ or other
>> >mortal teachers) in the spirit's 'traditional' (small 't') worship?
>>
>> An example. A Orlanthi hero shows up at a Praxian holy spot and
>> wants to sacrifice to Thunderbird, a Praxian spirit. We agree that
>> he cannot simply sacrifice to Thunderbird. IMO he has to open the
>> connection to Thunderbird by himself or through follow the sacrificial
>> ritual of others. I'm not sure that a shaman can help for he can only
>> open a connection to the spirit plane which is not what the hero needs.
>
> What if (for example) he knew a myth about Orlanth meeting
>Thunderbird? Would that be enough?

It sounds like a good start for a heroquest. Now the hero needs to figure out what needs to be done or take his chances with surprises on the Other Side. Also, he probably needs to wager something dear to him in order to have a chance of coming away with the ability to create a Spirit Cult.

Thanks,
Andy