Re: Pol Joni and worship

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:05:38 -0500

At 11:22 PM 12/06/2000 +0000, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:18:38 +1300, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_...> wrote:
>>At 18:54 6/12/00 +0000, you wrote:
>>>Slightly separate question: Could a Theist (say) worship a spirit by
>>>sacrificial worship ON HIS OWN?
>>
>>If he quests for it, yes.
>
>Ah, yes, I should have excepted the ubiquitous HQ option... by
>implication, then, you agree with me that a Theist cannot just decide
>to worship a spirit without some education (be it from HQ or other
>mortal teachers) in the spirit's 'traditional' (small 't') worship?

I'm not sure exactly what you are proposing, but I don't think that any amount of animist worship will help a theist to worship a spirit. I think that he may be able to glean some knowledge from the animists about how the spirit reacts (what it likes, etc.) and this may be of some use if and when he finally encounters the spirit on the Other Side. On the Other Side, he must approach the being as though it is a God, not a spirit. Then he sacrifices and wagers and sees if he comes away with the ability to sacrifice to it.

I believe, but I am not sure, that this is the sort of thing that Monrogh did on the Other Side when he returned with Yelmalio. He probably had it easier because he was most likely looking for a God in the God Plane, not a spirit in the God Plane or the Hero Plane.

Thanks,
Andy